How Car Hire Works in the UK
UK Car Hire simply explained. Having helped customers find great value car hire right across the country I know what you need to be looking out for!
Mark's Top Tip
Read the small print carefully when booking. Most companies only give you 48 hours to correct an error and if you find an issue later you face paying charges.
Want to see more top tips for car hire?Download my free ebook!
Rental companies in the UK have until recently played it pretty much with a straight bat, but that is changing - fast - and that's not really a good thing!
What car hire normally includes in the UK
- Third Party Liability insurance is included
- Collision Damage Waiver insurance will also be included (unless you have bought UK car rental through a website which targets overseas visitors - watch out for this if you are asked to pay in a currency other than £ sterling).
- Standard Breakdown Insurance covering Mechanical Breakdown
What most agreements exclude
- An excess - the amount you are liable for before the car hire firms insurance kicks in.
- Damage to the tyres and wheels, glass and windscreen, underbody and roof.
Watch out for
- Expensive Excess Insurance Insurance (guide price from rental firms £10 per day)and other add ons sold at the desk
- Limited mileage deals if you plan on driving any distance
- Additional Breakdown Cover - tends to be expensive and excess insurance policies can cover this at lower cost
- Prepaid fuel deals - normally more expensive than a full to full offer
Top Moneysaving Tips
- Buy standalone excess insurance (guide price £2 - £2.20 per day
- Airports are often the cheapest places to rent from.
Any questions? Why not 'Ask Mark'?
This content was last reviewed on 24/07/2014